Good Speed Dating Questions
In a world where everybody is so busy with their careers that they hardly find any time to date, much less become part of the bar scene, the creation of the dating system known as speed dating is such a blessing. Originally conceived as a way to get Jewish single men and women together, speed dating has already spilled onto the mainstream, helping single men and women from all walks of life meet many different kinds of people in a relatively short span of time. Speed dating events are now being organized with increasing frequency in cities all over the world, and they have often yielded satisfactory results.
Speed dating is essentially a matchmaking process in a controlled environment. A typical speed dating event calls for the men and women who register to sit across each other and “date” for approximately three to eight minutes. When that time is up, the participants, usually the men, are asked to get off their chairs and transfer to the one next to them and go on another short date with another person. This rotation will continue until such time all participants have “dated” each other. Organizers will then ask participants to submit a list of people they would like to give their contact information to. Once a match or several matches are found, the contact information will then be forwarded to both parties.
For anyone on a speed dating service, it is imperative to prepare questions that will help you know what you need to know about a person given the short amount of time allotted for a “date”. It is but natural to ask about personal details like the person’s name or what he or she does for a living, but you need to ask questions that give you an insight into the kind of person the one sitting across you really is, or if you actually stand any chance of hitting it off.
If you’re having a hard time thinking up such effective questions, here are some that might help. You can ask them in any order you prefer.
1. What do you look for in a boyfriend or a girlfriend?
2. What do you do for fun?
3. What in your life are you most proud of?
4. Which historical figure or celebrity do you most look up to, and why?
5. What was the last CD you bought?
6. What makes you tear up or laugh?
7. Is sexual compatibility important to you?
8. What are your thoughts on marriage and kids?
9. Why did you break up with your ex?
10. Is religion or spirituality important to you?
11. What do you consider a perfect vacation?
12. Are you a morning or a night person?
13. What are your political leanings, if any?
14. Do you believe in love at first sight?
15. Are you a glass half-empty or half-full person?
16. Where do you see yourself five years from now?
17. Any treasured possessions?
18. Do you like dogs, cats or any type of pet?
19. Given the ability of time travel, is there any moment in your past you’d like to go back to and change?
20. What is the one thing about yourself that you would most like me to know?